Thursday, June 30, 2016

Tea with Jane: Sally Lunns

     Sally Lunns...I'm sorry what? What kind of name is that for a pastry? What kind of name is that in general? I keep wanting to say "buns" instead of "lunns"...I'm working on it!
     So yes, this week's historical pastry is called "Sally Lunns" which is basically a bread roll that you would either eat with butter, or, if you want to go real old fashioned/british here, clotted cream. I thankfully had all the ingredients from the past two recipes (thank goodness), so no shopping was involved. And the recipe was so basic! Strong bread flour, eggs, sugar, yeast, heavy cream, and salt. Literally, that's it. Although, there was one oddity in this recipe. Instead of mixing the yeast immediately with the flour, I mixed it first with the sugar. Then you add eggs and cream, and THEN the flour and salt. I wonder what the difference is, or if there is a difference at all? Do you guys know?
      Anyways, there was some more waiting this time. I'm kind of getting excited to do a recipe that doesn't involve waiting. After kneading the dough for a good ten minutes, I had to let it rise for 1.5 hours, form 6 buns (although I think I should've made more), and let them rise again for 30 minutes to an hour. Then you brush them with egg whites and pop 'em in the oven at 400 for 13 minutes.
As I said before, I think I should've made more buns because the 6 buns were HUGE!! Like, basically that's all you need for breakfast.
     
But guys...these things are the bomb.com! They came out golden, warm, light, fluffy, and are just all around wonderful goodness. I think this is my favorite recipe so far. Next time, I'm definitely making smaller buns. But overall, I'd call this recipe a 100% success. Maybe it's because of the weird name :)

Can't wait for next week,
    HER

No comments:

Post a Comment