Friday, September 27, 2013

How to Survive the ACT


I consider myself a champion of the ACT…not because I have the perfect score, but merely based on the amount of times I’ve taken this dreaded test of intelligence. I just completed my fourth and final test, and now I look back on it…I would say fondly, but then I would be lying. Let’s face it; the ACT is not easy. It wasn’t meant to be easy. If you’re one of those people who can just walk into the test completely unprepared and walk out with a thirty-five by just plugging and chugging, I applaud and envy you. For those of us who over think everything and like to take the time to analyze and understand our reading or really work through the math problem, this test is our worst enemy. So here are a few helpful hints to help get you through the test that I’ve picked up from my two prep classes.

1. ALWAYS bring a watch, and not a digital watch. Ask your grandparents for a watch if you’re that updated.
2. Answer ten, mark ten. Write the answers in the book then go back in fill them in.
3. For English, unless it has a big box for the last question, don’t read the entire passage. It’s not a comprehensive test.
4. For math, don’t over think the question. Look at it calmly, and if it can’t be plugged in, work it in.
5. In reading, read the questions before skimming the passage. You’re timed, remember?
6. In science: five question sections refer to pictures; six question sections refer to pictures and passages/knowledge; seven question sections refer to passages.
7. Make sure you have plenty of pencils.
8. Studies show that chocolate and mint are the most stimulating for the brain, so pop a York Peppermint Patty before each test to get your brain cells going.
9. Don’t just not study. Trust me, it doesn’t work.
Yes, this is my painting. I'm sticking to my day job
10. BREATHE. In the end, it’s just a test. It’s not the end of the world.

So now that you’ve managed to survive and you have three weeks to wait before you get the results, why don’t you take this opportunity to relax and commend yourself for having the courage to take the monster test. Make yourself some bubbly. Pop in your favorite movie and veg out. Paint even if you’re an awful artist. Bake…for someone or for yourself. You deserve a little treat. Go on a refreshing walk with the dog, or cat, or whatever other critter you m
ight have lounging around the house.
Believe me, once you get through this test, this is all your going to want to do. Why not just indulge yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment