Sunday, December 16, 2018

Semester Wrap Up!

Portfolios have been submitted. Workshops have been critiqued. So many books have been read, and so many new pieces written. But I still can't believe that my first semester in grad school is nearly over. Just one day left! One third of the way through the year.

I have learned a ridiculous amount in a very short span of time. I've settled on a manuscript for the rest of the year. I've experimented with voice and point of view and age range. I've learned how to question my writing, how to go back and make it the best it can be. I've read so many great books that have helped to further my writing and given me something to aim for in my own writing as well.

Many people say that you don't need to study writing to be a good writer, and that's fine. But writing is like any other profession or talent or skill. To get better at it, you have to be surrounded by it. You have to practice it. You have to breathe it. That's what this year is for. Living and breathing writing, specifically, the writing that I want to do. I can't wait to see what these next two semester's bring!

Here's a recap of the semester!

Favorite Books:
       From my set reading list:
               Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (a beautiful World War 1 story with a clear voice, an            amazing sense of tension thanks to Timelock, and nostalgic characters)
   
               Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell (a charming middle grade novel that makes the normal world seem magical and has the most adorable, unique voice!)

               Skellig by David Almond (a magical realism novel showing kids how to deal with mourning and their emotions. Absolutely lovely imagery and symbolism with a simple story)

       From my personal reading:
                The Bear and the Nightengale by Katherine Arden (magical realism with a russian setting and playing with russian mythology. Huge and atmospheric with bold characters--so lovely!)
         
                Rosie Loves Jack by Mel Darbon (realistic fiction following a main character with down syndrome who goes to London in search of her boyfriend who's been taken away. Poignant, strong voice, and an absolutely necessary read!)

                Sky Song by Abi Elphinstone (middle grade fantasy. Complex plot with a girl who's voice is being stolen, a boy set in his ways, a fallen goddess trying to take over the world. Beautiful nature imagery and strong friendship).

My Writing Takeaways:


  • Write the book that you want to write, that you don't see on the shelves. Don't think about the industry as you're writing it. 
  • Character questionnaires are extremely helpful. They can be downloaded online and just make you probe your subconscious and figure out things about your character. 
  • The opening of your book must give a preview of what's inside your book. 
  • Influences make you into the writer you're meant to be. So be alert, relaxed, and allow yourself to be surprised by life and how it affects your writing. 
  • TIMELOCK keeps the pace moving forward and adds to the tension of a story. 
  • Endings in all sense of the word are important. Make sure you leave the ends of chapters with a bang, making the reader read on. Don't rush your big ending. What do you want to leave the readers with? 
  • Justifying the rule Show don't Tell: Because showing allows the reader to be active in book and bring their own experiences to the story. 
  • Reading poetry makes your mind think differently and can help spark ideas in your work. Play with words and language. Keep a bag of pretty words (and minuscule words).
  • **End sentences with strong images, not unnecessary words. 
  • Kids and young readers are a lot more sophisticated than we give them credit for, but also know what kids of your age group can handle. 
  • Realistic relationships are created through light and shade in a novel. 
  • Take character temperature at the beginning and end of the scene. If they are the same, the scene is too static. 
  • Antagonists need to be worthy and have reasons, even if they are terrible reasons. 
  • Need some tension? Throw a bomb under the bed
  • Reticular Activating System: as soon as you put a value on something, you'll make connections. 
  • Think about what you're really trying to say, and try your hardest not to say it. 
  • The Story Questions: What readers want answered, drives the story forward, questions are replaced throughout the book. 
  • First draft is telling the story to yourself. You have to do that first. 
It's been a long crazy semester. I've learned a lot. For once in my life, I know that I am a good writer--a good writer with mountains of space to improve. Because isn't that what we're always doing? I've learned that I'm good at voice, at balance of action and dialogue. But I often overwrite because I don't think I'm getting my story across. Sometimes I need to amp up the twists. 
And I'm so excited to start my manuscript, to create the atmosphere that I envision in my head. Stay tuned for what the next semester has in store! 

Happy Holidays, 
      HER 


No comments:

Post a Comment