Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Adventures in Adventure Tourism

My bestie roommate and I are finally getting to take another class together as a last hurrah before we graduate, and even though I am infamously the klutziest person ever, I agreed to the Adventure Tourism class. It wouldn't start until halfway through the semester, which was awesome, and it was designated time for some physical activity while checking off some bucket list items to do in Chattanooga before I leave. Today was our first adventure, and yes, I nearly died.

Mountain Biking. Chattanooga has some amazing mountains. We were voted the number one Outdoor City in America, and all I've really done is hike and paddleboard once, which inevitably ended with me falling in. I'm not a biker...the last time I seriously rode a bike was maybe 10 years ago. So yes, I was terrified. I told my mom, "If I die, tell Buddy (my dog) I love him."

We went to Enterprise South Nature Park, which is technically in Ooltewah, but it had a "nice, easy beginner," bike path. Lies. It might've been easy but not for beginners. So despite falling off several times, crashing into a couple trees, sliding down the mountain for just a slight moment, and wounding myself a couple times, I FINALLY got into a rhythm and was able to ride for a long time and just cruise down the hills and enjoy the natural beauty.

The best image was when we rode into this nice tunnel of pine trees--absolutely gorgeous! I wish I had more balance that I could've taken a picture of it. I even stuck the last cruising hill without crashing! Woo, success.

Then, before we headed back to campus, we walked up to an abandoned bunker where they stored weapons, and it was one of the creepiest, most surreal moments. The echoes in there were absolutely wild! I could see how someone could go insane from the noises reverberating in their brain. My friend stood at one side of the room, while I was at the other, and whispered, and I heard it clear as day!

But yes, mountain biking was quite the adventure. I will be quite sore after the 3 1/2 miles, but I did enjoy the new experience. Stay tuned next week for hiking and repelling...yes, I am also terrified for that.

Go adventure!
      HER

No comments:

Post a Comment