Monday, May 26, 2014

Happy Memorial Day!

I know you've probably had your ears gnawed off about this, but remember the reason for the day. In this day and age, we sometimes forget the true meanings for our out-of-school/off-work holidays. We buy presents or sleep in really late, or, in today's case, barbecue then barbecue some more...with a little swimming thrown in, weather permitting. But I cannot see how we overlook the meaning of this day. I guarantee every person in this country knows a veteran or an active serviceman in the military. Did you thank them today--thank them for their service to our country, to their fellow Americans, and to you? They take great risk every day of their lives to ensure our safety as a nation. Thank them!

Many of us have stories of ancestors that fought in past wars. I'm proud to say that both my grandfathers fought in World War II. My maternal grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and at one point was trapped in a barn shootout. For most of his life, he suffered from PTSD and relived his service through nightmares. He was an amazing man who taught me loyalty to my family, how to love unconditionally and that true love actually does exist--you just have to be brave enough to find it. And he taught me that all roads lead to home. He was a man that loved backroads...longgggggg back roads. But his detours always ended up as a gorgeous site-seeing trip and before we knew it, we were back safe in our homes. No matter where we were, he always got us home. And he was lucky--he came home from World War II. Millions did not. Take a minute to remember the soldiers who have lost their lives protecting us.

Happy Memorial Day, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment