Friday, November 29, 2013

Taking a weekend



Life is hard. School is a lot of work. And there is never enough time. For some reason at this point in my senior year, I am absolutely drained of energy. I feel like even when I get a good night's sleep, it's just not good enough. I've had a few people point out to me that sometimes, you just have to take a weekend. Say no to anything your friends are doing. Tell your parents your checking out for the weekend. No matter what, spend the weekend taking care of yourself. Do whatever it is that you do to recuperate and rejuvenate. I sadly have not gotten a whole weekend yet, just bits of a couple. But I must say, I do feel a bit better and a bit more prepared to face the vicious holiday season.





Here's a few simple steps to some much needed R&R.

1. SLEEP IN! Go to bed early and wake up naturally. There is no better feeling than your eyes opening simply because they are ready to. Not because the alarm goes off or the dogs are barking.
2. Read in bed. Don't get up just yet. Bundle under the covers and grab your current read (I'm working on The Dark Between by Sonia Gensler) to burrow in for an hour or so.
3. Make yourself a cup of hot tea with a bit of honey. Honey has relaxing properties and tea just makes you feel like your living in an English Shire.
4. Paint your nails. I know it sounds silly, but it's fun to sit, watch a movie, and paint your nails a fun color!
5. Make yourself a spa day. Use store bought or home remedy treatments to make your skin glow and your hair shine! Apply a face mask, scrub your rough hands and feet, take a scented bubble bath with candles.
6. Take a walk. Not a work-out walk, just a nice leisurely walk down the street, admiring the leaves (or lack thereof) and the sounds of nature. It might sound cheesy, but it helps.
7. Choose a line-up of movies to watch. I always make mine themed like...Southern (Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, & The Help), Greek (My Big Fat Greek Wedding & My Life in Ruins), Teen Masterminds (Catch Me If You Can & Ferris Bueller's Day Off), Or a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan Double Features (You've Got Mail & Sleepless in Seattle).
8. Jump into your pajamas early, or better yet, stay in them all day.
9. You choose your dinner, most likely comfort food: pizza, mac & cheese, Chinese-whatever makes your tummy happy!
10. Jump into bed with your book and read until your eyes start to fall like curtains. That's when you know it's time to go to bed!

So remember, you deserve a weekend. And these steps can help you achieve the much needed and deserved R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment